As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Loaded my Rest Day with Extra Work for Today... Wednesday, September 28


While typing out my schedule yesterday, I realized one thing – I don’t exactly take a day off training. I tell everyone I workout six days a week, twice a day, but as it turns out I train seven days a week. This isn’t really a surprise to those who know me though. What is a surprise though to my friends is the fact that I decided that today would be this week’s day off.

Me, take a rest day?! Ya, I couldn’t believe it either. I think it took all my mental power to not hit the weights, to not go running and to not hit the heavy bag. I figured if I just stayed away from the gym and club than I’d be good to go with designating today as my rest day for this week. I had a few business meetings today and was scheduled to coach Team Blue at the boxing club tonight but ended up having to cancel because of stuff going on at my apartment – my new roommate moved in today!

It was strange to take the day off training, take the day to get other business-related things done, and honestly I felt so disconnected, so left out. I didn’t like it. I don’t like rest days. A rest day is a day off training but it basically means don’t exercise but spend all day thinking about wanting to go training.

Things I did today INSTEAD of training...
Had a doctor's appointment.
Updated my homepage.
Studied at the Toronto Reference Library.
Worked on my business proposal for my Second Dream.
Caught up on some business phone calls and emails.
Answered fan emails.
Went to the Eaton's Centre to pick up a book.
Worked on the Flipside Fitness company website.
Business meeting at the CIBC bank.
My new roommate moved in.
Video chatted with several of my friends back in Korea.
Had a coffee date.
Met a friend for a late evening movie.

...ATE PIZZA!!!
Yes, it's true. Not only did I NOT go training but I also had a cheat meal -- pizza.

Oh, and as for my doctor's appointment, it was a follow-up for the testing that I did last week.  I had major side pains and was feeling super nauseous for a little over a week.  Turns out, and you're going to laugh here, turns out I was experiencing what every other normal woman under the sun calls "having your period".  Nice, I'm 36 and I just had my first official NORMAL period.  My doctor giggled when he told me the news and I burst out into laughter.  "So I guess you're should start expecting this every month", he said.  I responded with "Ummm, NO!  I'm going to up my training instead!"  My period has been so super inconsistent the past 8-9 years because of the demands and stress of my boxing training on my body so if the intensity of it is what made it so inconsistent then I take it I need to step it up a notch to resume that inconsistency.  Apparently I'm not training as hard as I could, would and should for that to remain a reality, me being period-free that is.

No comments: