As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Rest Day... Saturday, September 17

I showed up at the club for coaching thirty three minutes before I was even suppose to open the gym, that should have been my first clue that today was going to be totally off.  I showed up super early despite only having two and a half hours of sleep.  

Yup, yup, yuppers, it's true -- only 2.5hrs of sleep and 33mins early.

I was to open the club, coach the members, and run the entire gym until closing, 1pm, so that's exactly what I did.  The rain brought in more members than anticipated so I was definitely busier than I thought I'd be.  With a large coffee in hand and a few snacks to fuel me through the day, I persevered.  I survived with flying colours.  

Arrived at home and crashed on my bed.

Woke up some hours later, too late to go training but too early to call it a night.

I was exhausted though.  The mix of lack of sleep, managing the club and showing up for work with a lack of prepared real meals meant I was running on empty and running at full speed.  The crash at home was much anticipated but then I just couldn't pick myself up from it.  I wanted to go running, needed to go training but my body was like "girl, you're not going any where".  The extent to me doing anything tonight or going anywhere was a friend's house uptown.  

An unexpected rest day, that's exactly what this had become.

I then crashed at my friend's house, first on his couch and then on his bed... or relax, it totally wasn't what you're thinking, grow up.  Anways... We sat there for hours sipping on coffee and watching old school music videos but the caffeine was doing nothing for my energy levels and I totally melted into the laziness of the couch.  When he offered to give me a massage I didn't hesitate to say no thank you or pass if off with politeness.  I wanted that massage, more specifically, I needed a shoulder massage.  In between lounging on his couch and passing out after the shoulder massage, I got him to shave the left side of my head...and then I returned to lazy mode.  The massage was good, real good, so good in fact that I have no idea where or when it went from me getting a shoulder massage to me waking up in the morning, still very much in the position I had originally laid down for for the massage.  

No comments: