As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Stay Inspired to be Inspiring... Thursday, September 29

Today in a classroom about an hour and a half away from Toronto stood a long-legged, blonde hair, blue eyed 10 year old girl.  She had been called upon by the teacher to give her presentation on her school project – people who set goals.  She stood up, walked to the front of the classroom and started to talk about her aunt, the professional boxer.  That little girl was my niece and that aunt was me, Amy.  She’s the oldest daughter to my brother, T-Rex, and she’s kind of “my girl” in that I favour her among my brother’s three girls. 

My sister-in-law texted me to tell me the news.  It was total new news to me, my niece doing a school project on, and I was so flattered but it served as a reminder of the fact that our lives DO impact the lives of others whether we know it or not.  Moreover, it acted as a reminder to me to stay focused on my goals.  Some days I feel as if I'm digging and digging away at my dream but am exhausting myself as oppose to expanding myself, like I'm running on the spot as oppose to getting somewhere.  You never do know who you’re motivating,who you’re inspiring.  Your journey may be a struggle, a constant uphill climb, but that story is inspiring others and while you're working on being the hero in your own story you may very well be a hero to others.  I really had no idea just how much my little niece looked up to me and that made me smile big today, all day.

No comments: