As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

A Little Bit of Humble Pie... Saturday, October 29

A little bit of humble pie never killed anyone but I only meant to serve a piece, not the whole pie.

Today Team Blue had sparring practice, 3pm to 5pm, and I was there to serve some humble pie via challenging them so to change them.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think they all needed a piece of the pie but sometimes they seem to comfortable with their training -- too comfortable with me as their coach and their teammates as now both friends and sparring partners. 

Nothing good comes from working in your comfort zone.  You have to challenge yourself to change yourself and that's exactly what I wanted to go down today.

There was a motive to my sparring matching today and it was clearly to challenge them.

This past week I've been taking down the names and numbers of specific fighters training at Clancy's and then texting them to see who could come in to work with my fighters.  I scored the names and numbers of two southpaws to work with my one southpaw so one of them came into for sparring.  I also planned to have one of my female fighters spar with a particular male fighter from our team.  I've been pushing her to work on her feet speed and movement more and this particular male fighter of mine is more or less the poster child of speed on our team.  I then had our biggest male fighter fight with a smaller male fighter who is much quicker on his feet and with his hands.  I thought this would pose as a good challenge because they were opposite in many ways and it'd force my fighter to challenge and change his game plan accordingly. 

Every sparring match was a challenge and that's the purpose of training -- challenging yourself to change yourself.  A few of them had a much harder challenge than the others but this also means a few of them had the opportunity to learn a lot more and ultimately grow a lot more too.  It was good, it was real good.  Train hard, fight easy.

No comments: