As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

From Dust to Dawn... Saturday, October 8


After what felt like a nonstop, action-packed day loaded with juggling training and coaching at three locations, I then woke up today and jumped into a similar day.  I had to open the club up downtown for 8am, had some personal training clients to coach and then had to race it off to Oshawa for sparring at James Town Boxing.  I’ve sparred out there before, once.  It’s a smaller club but it’s very much a cozy, intimate one where members are like family and they’re all supported by a coach who really loves what he’s doing.  I headed there to train with a female amateur boxer, Killer Bee, who is fighting in two weeks.  She and I have sparred together before, last time I was out this way, and today it was just her and I at her club.  I had told her and her coach that I’d spar with her and then work her out with some heavy bag work and pad work.  They’re always super grateful for my assistance but I’m just as happy to do it as they are to have me there. 
I arrived in Oshawa with my bag full of gear, changed into training clothes, laced up my shoes, wrapped my hands, and then started training.  Killer Bee and I did some work on the heavy bags after my skipping, then we stepped into the ring for four rounds of sparring.  I teased her about being so super cute and sweet but gave her a bit of a hard time too about it.  I think she could really use her image to her advantage if she played it right.  I told her to come in looking super cute but ditch the cuteness as soon as that round bell goes off.  I work a lot with her today, trying to make her to be more aggressive in the ring and working some key combos I think she could really benefit from. 

After sparring, Killer Bee dropped me off at the Go Train station and I headed back to Toronto.

Girls Nite Out tonight… nice! 

Introduced one of my favourite gal pals to another favourite gal pal of mine – Polska B and the Polish Princess. The Polish Princess just returned to the Bloor West Village after a relationship that went sour so boo to that but yeah for us who missed her so much, like me.    It was great to introduce the two to each other because Polska B and the Polish Princess are both super awesome; they’re my favourite gals to spend a Saturday evening with, for sure.  I joked and labeled us the Polska Posse.  Us three blonde Polish ladies out on the town, sounds like spells trouble and it kind of did but it was so much fun. 

It was suppose to be just us three ladies, us three Poles, but it always seems like no matter how anti-dude we try to be on our Girls Nite Outs there is always one or two guys that slips through the cracks and works his charm into our evening.  Tonight it was the Nigerian Doctor.  He had searched me out.  We had gone from College Street to King Street and the three of us were dancing when I turned around and who should be standing there but him, the Nigerian Doctor.

No comments: