As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Loading the Day with Boxing... Saturday, October 22

Today’s Schedule:
8am-1pm             Coaching/managing the female-only gym downtown
3pm-5pm            Coaching Team Blue (sparring today) at Clancy’s
7pm-10pm          Killer Bee’s fight out at Battle Arts

In between coaching I was commuting – took me 25mins to get home from the gym, 1hr to get to Clancy’s, and then 1hr hour to go by car from Clancy’s in the east to Battle Arts way out in the far west…  4hrs of traveling today for boxing, yikes. 

All for the love of boxing, right?!  Right.

Despite it being a go, go, go kind of day today, I showed up for Killer Bee’s fight so incredibly pumped to see her fight, so hyper and just so really excited.   It was her first fight.  I’ve been trying to help her better prepare for this fight – sparring and doing padwork with her, and trying to help her get the mental edge on her fight via mentoring her and just really being a supportive friend.  She had to gain weight for this fight, a choice I wouldn’t have opted for personally but given that she’s like 97lbs dripping wet and it’s super hard to get Canadian female fighters that small, her choices were to either gain weight for a fight or have no fight.  She choose the fight so she gained weight. 

It was great to see her backed by her coach, Coach Adrian of Jamestown Boxing in Oshawa, and see her teammates come out.  I have many of them on Facebook and have met many of them beforehand.  When I arrived she was standing there, watching the other fight that had already started.  With her braids all done and club sweater on, she looked sharp and very poised.  She’s a fighter.

It’s an interesting thing, to watch those I’ve helped train step into the ring.  I always feel so incredibly proud and whether they win or lose is really irrelevant to me.  Tonight was no different.  People can say whatever they want to say but unless they’ve stepped into the ring and have slaved away at dragging themselves through the emotional, mental and physical exhaustion that comes with prepping for a fight, their words have absolutely no weight. 

I’m proud of Killer Bee.

She didn’t win her bout, it got stopped, but her team and I greeted her after her fight as a true winner.  Someone very dear to me texted, asking me how her fight went and when I told him she had lost, he responded by saying “you either win or you learn”.
I love that – you either win or you learn.

Those words lingered in my head.  I shared his text message with Killer Bee and I know those words stuck with her. 


You either win or you learn… better than yesterday.

No comments: