As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Running on Empty and Throwing Up Sarcasm... Friday, October 28

I've been up since 5am, coaching since about 6:20am, so being told my 4pm business meeting is getting postponed for another hour, maybe two, isn't cool by me.  A push in one thing means my whole schedule needs adjusting.

"Just roll with the punches", I told myself.

So I rolled.  Actually, I napped.

You know you're totally exhausted when you find yourself passing out in a busy gym, on a treadmill.

Way to keep it classy, Amy... oh, I know.

Thursdays and Fridays kill me.  They start so early, before the sun comes up, and then end so late, long after the sun has gone down. 

I walked into tonight's delayed business meeting with an exhausted energy level, after having had carried my body weight in boxing and training gear all over the city.  I was hangy, totally hangry.  For those of you who don't know what "hangry" is, well, it's being hungry and angry at the same time.  It's not pretty and, for me at least, it means it's not without an overdose of sarcasm. 

Me sarcastic?!  Ummm... definitely and today, at the meeting, I busted out the sarcasm when I walked into that meeting and looked up.  There, right in front of me, was an Asian girl wearing a Halloween costume.  She was dressed as a unicorn. 

"Nice costume", I noted.  "What, are you trying to be white?!"

Only me and the Korean guy in the meeting knew what I was talking about.  I was referring to the fact that Korean men in Korea often call white women unicorns. Unicorns are a fantasy animal and, well, there's a certain fantasy that some Korean men have with white women.  They think we're not attracted to them physically but that really has little to do with it.  Korean men are gorgeous but it's their out-dated monoculture that we're not attracted to.  Anyways, the Korean guy in the meeting is pretty Korean-Korean so he definitely got my joke.  He responded with a "that's-so-ballsy" look on his face and when his coworker questioned what I meant by it he responded with a "it-was-inappropriate-so-don't-ask" shake of his head.

No comments: