As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, October 07, 2016

Training In and Out of the Ring... Friday, October 7

I thought I'd do a surprise attack on Team Blue today.  I had told them to come in thirty minutes prior to training so I could help go over hand wrapping with them.  I really just wanted to weigh them in but I thought telling them this they may cheat the scale. Whether it was skipping a meal before training or possibly skipping more than one, I wanted a honest weigh-in.

I thought they'd greet my "let's jump on the scale" with frowned eyebrows and excuses but the joke was on me.  They were more than okay with my surprise attack with an unscheduled weigh-in. 

Yup... that's Team Blue.

They're on par with their training and on par with their weigh-in.  They're doing everything I've asked of them and so now I have to up it up a few notches to really give them more, to take them to the next level.

Side note here, one of my boxers has lost about 20lbs so far!!! Crazy awesome!

I've already put it out there that if they want to train with me on Sunday mornings, 8am at Riverdale Park, hill sprints, then they can but I'm thinking about adding something different to their weekly routine.  

I was once told by a sports psychologist when I was preparing for a fight that for every hour I put in the gym I needed to put an hour in at my "mind gym". Consequently enough, a book I then turned to for guidance with putting his advice into practice was called exactly that, Mind Gym.  So, with regards to Team Blue, I'm thinking about incorporating some team discussion time and reading into their weekly training.

No comments: