As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Agency Wars Alumni Thunder at Masonic Temple

My full team here -- Team Blue.
We snapped this pic before weigh-in so the nerves hadn't really settled for my fighters yet.
 Me standing corner side, watching as my fighter goes in to meet the ref and their opponent.
I was such a proud coach.
 The show started off with my smallest fighter.  She had struggled with losing weight and was quite stressed about it but I had given her a fool-proof way to drop weight.  Success!!!
Not only did she kick butt with dropping the needed weight to make weigh-in but she really kicked major butt in her fight.  It made for a very exciting starting fight for tonight's show.
 I was heartbroken when my one fighter's fight got cut short on account of an injury.  He was robbed the chance to really showcase the awesome skills he had developed.  Boy, can he move.  His defence is on par and his counter punches are impressive.  I knew the crowd would be impressed but a cut to his eye meant he didn't get the chance and instead spent his time getting his face stitched up.
I loved coaching tonight and with every mouth guard I took out, every tip and pointer I gave my fighters in the ring, and with every in between moment I had with them, I felt myself falling more in love with my label as their coach.  To tell you the truth though, I don't know what I love more now -- being in the ring as a fighter or being outside of the ring as a coach.  All I know is I couldn't have been more in love with boxing as I was tonight.
Sometimes I think I believe in my fighters' skills and ability more than they do and with this one particular fighter it was evident that this was true.  She had asked in between rounds one and two how I thought she did and added "I didn't do good, sorry".  I told her to be quite and believe in herself.  She went on to win the fight.
This pic was taken right as the ref was raising her hand.  She jumped up and down.  Note my body language.  I stood there proudly listen for the fight call.
 The shocker of the evening for me was this particular fighter.  She's always super intense at sparring, gets flustered easily and is always hard on herself.  But tonight in the fight she was so mentally there.  She had totally composed herself and had mastered controlling her mind.  She was totally there.  It was amazing -- SHE was amazing!!!  
 The last fight of the evening was another win for us but it was the one fight where my boxer had brawled more than boxed.  A win is a win though and I know he had given it his all.
 After the show, with all my excitement over the event still at a peek and me feeling super proud of my team, I headed off to the after party with my team, the Captain and Skittles.

No comments: