As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

I'm Even More Asian Now... Sunday, November 13

After a beautiful Sunday service at church, a beautiful celebration dinner followed.

I have a new family.  Correction, I have extended my family.  People always joke and call me "honorary Asian" before because of my small eyes and Korean accent but now half my family is officially Asian -- they're Filipino.  

Today I headed out to Fort Erie to enjoy a sweet dinner out but it was quite to have the feel and familiarity of a family dinner.  We all had met up tonight to celebrate their 48th wedding anniversary and I took Balboa.

There were 12 of us in total, 12.3 if you count Balboa.

I've adopted a new family and they've adopted me.  Today was the first time we've ever met but it felt so comfortable and so easy to connect with them.  

We all met at the house and then headed to the restaurant together but by the time we left the house I had already warmed up with many of them.  Balboa was helpful in stirring up conversations and whatnot but our interaction all seemed extremely natural and not forced.

At dinner I discovered the father is my favourite.  His dry humor and confusion with how to use the camera feature on his phone reminded me of my own father but it was his quick pick-up of the Korean I taught him and his attention to Balboa that confirmed it.  The fact that he's an avid baker and had a kitchen counter top full of baked goods he had made himself was a pure bonus but I can so see myself getting wider in the waist if I visit him more often and have no self control.

So today I extended my family.  They're super sweet, they're super kind, and they've invited me to join them on their family Christmas holiday to Florida.  I'm going!!!

No comments: