As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea on February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I am now, living in the land of the happy people. The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love. Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

The Lack of Sleep Kicked my Polish Butt... Saturday, November 5

Today's Schedule:
7:40am -- 1pm  Coaching at the girls-only gym downtown.
3pm-5pm          Team Blue sparring at Clancy's Boxing.

It seemed like a pretty straight forward and simple schedule for today except for the fact that working at the women-only gym meant juggling doing the big weekly cleaning (which is like a billion and one things to do and takes forever), coaching members and managing the gym all by myself, and the two hour gap in between working at the gym and coaching at Clancy's is hardly enough time.  In that two hour gap I have to race back home to walk Balboa, grab food, grab my gear, and then head out.

No subway today until Pape station.  That added some extra unavailable time onto my commute.

Scored another boxing personal training client -- ten sessions at two sessions a week.

I feel like I've been running on empty this entire week, unable to get a mental break.  Physically I can handle the nonstop schedule I have but there's no margin for error and I'm struggling to mentally detach myself from it at the end of the day.  There is no "end of the day" mentally for me.  I go home and lay in bed, dissecting what work I did and analyzing what work I have to do for tomorrow, brainstorming ideas about my Second Dream, nit-picking how I could have done things differently, and mapping out a plan for steps I have to take to get me closer to my target goals.

There is no off switch with work for me and I think, if anything, that'd be the only thing I envy about a person with a "regular", a "normal" 9-5er job.  They can leave work at work.  My work follows me everywhere.

I reached exhaustion today, mentally.

I had gone into work on Friday with only 3hrs sleep, worked from 6:15am to 12noon, then got in a grueling workout at boxing -- pumped out 12 rounds on the heavy bag and made myself puke.  I then went and coached boxing, went out for a late night meal after with Skittles, and then woke up the next day with a limited single-digit worth of sleep and started today's work at the gym.  It's been go, go, go on such limited sleep since Thursday and today I could feel myself crashing.  I anticipated crashing so I canceled my Girls Nite Out with my two Polish beauties and curled up with Balboa on the bed.  At 8:30pm I totally crashed.  Woke up around 2am hungry.  Ate a piece of rye bread with peanut butter and then crashed again.  I can't remember the last time I got more than 5 hours of sleep in one night.  Tonight I slept for eleven hours!

No comments: