As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Bring it On... Saturday, December 10

Whenever someone thinks they can get me down or get to me, I remind myself that Kim Jong Il was my neighbour for over a decade and he didn't bother me one bit.

I've been homeless, stabbed, face slashed, neck keyed, almost raped, participated in an underground fight scene, and I coached several gang members in Korea on how to box... I'm tough. I am a fighter, both in and out of the ring.

I have nothing to prove to anyone.

I'm a fighter not a lover but if I were to be a lover it'd be for the love of fighting.

And I think it's because of all these hard people and the hard times that make me all that happier.  I've experienced the sour to know the sweet -- to fully appreciate the sweet.  Perhaps the sweet isn't so sweet to the average person but I don't think I'm the average person and that sweet is so incredibly sweet to me.  I remember when I first came back to Canada.  For the first several months I cried tears of happiness almost every single day because I was just so overly grateful and blessed to be back, to be safe.

Tonight someone dear to me laid their head on my lap and voiced their concerns.  I won't go into the details of what they said but it was interesting to note that their burden and their stress would be so happily carried by someone else if it were offered. Or would it be?!  Not too sure about that because I think what he's doing is huge and it's daring but it's also brilliant and fabulously exciting.  I'm so excited for him.  I definitely don't think this particular person is in the wrong for being stressed but it really puts things in perspective with how blessed we actually are, to even have such opportunities to push our potential and strive for a success that most are too afraid of doing so. I'm very much in a similar situation -- stressed about what I should feel blessed about.

I've been offered a fight in Mexico, it's for February 19th, and my promoter wants me to come down mid January.  I've also been offered a place to train at in the Philippines and have been asked to stay there for as long as possibly three months.  I'd then have a fight in Asia.

These are awesome opportunities, for sure, but they also pose a whack of stress for me.

I currently coach at a female-only gym downtown and have several personal training clients I train there.  I also have my boot camps with Flipside Fitness and the ladies that participate in those.  And then there's my Second Dream that I'm working on launching and that's being branded right now as it awaits the next step.

So how can I juggle all of this -- fight in Mexico, train in the Philippines, fight in Asia, keep my job at the female-only gym plus maintain Flipside Fitness and all my clients associated with my coaching?!

Through in the fact that I'm jetting away for a week, for Christmas, to Florida which couldn't possibly be the worst timing ever and ya, I'm feeling more stressed than blessed!

Something has to give.  

I'm stressed at the crossover of timelines and responsibilities but I know I should be grateful at the amazing opportunities and experiences being posed.  

I've never wished for an average life; I've always believed that the worst thing that could happen to me would be to become average.  I don't want to be average, I don't want an average life, but sometimes I think this life of mine is a bit too crazy. 

No comments: