As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

From the Church to Ringside

Boxing bouts at Cabbagetown with the Captain to catch the live action with me.
My sparring partner and the leader of the Friday Night Fight Club, Queen Spar, was in attendance and so was a particular female official I've become familiar with.  
The club was packed, it was awesome.  Turns out they had a much bigger attendance than originally assumed and originally planned for which was fantastic because Cabbagetown Boxing is really a great boxing club and they're super supportive of not only the community but also the community center they're a part of.
Had to snap a picture of her -- six time world champion Bad News Lisa Brown. 
Originally I met her in Korea back in 2008/2009 when she had traveled there for a fight. I still have her signed autograph at Hulk's in Korea.  It was great to see her again but on this side of the globe.
One of my sparring partners from Friday fought today.  She took some mean blows but she also gave out her share of mean hits too and props to her for stepping into the ring.  It was a great fight and I know Cabbagetown was proud of her.  She didn't win her fight but she also didn't lose either -- she learned.  Win or learn, that's how it goes. 

No comments: