As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Inked and Soon to Be Free... Wednesday, December 7

When I first came back to Canada I was asked in a radio interview what was the biggest difference I noticed.  Thinking back, I think there were expecting me to say something like being able to speak English 24/7 or the food.  I answered "I feel pretty".  They didn't expect that, they didn't understand that and they didn't know what to say to that.  Been back in Canada now for a full year have really grown to not only embrace what Korea had made me believe are imperfections but I also found someone who thinks I am perfect because of my imperfections.  Today I inked that on me; a reminder.

My tattoo reads "All of your perfect imperfections" -- song lyrics from "All of Me", John Legend.  I thought about getting the Korean word "많은" ("many") in the space under "All of your" but didn't.  Korea is over.  My life in Korea is done but the implications and complications of my life there still very much linger and so often they hold me back.  I feel getting this tattoo really helped me take back the power Korea had over me and embrace who I've become and the love in my life.  I am me, with all of my imperfections... all of my perfect imperfections.  I walked out of FY Ink so high on life and so happy, so much so that I called up Korea and told them I wanted out.  I want my freedom back.  Legally, this will become a reality soon and not just a wish in my heart that has burdened me. 

The above, what I wrote, was what I added under the two pictures from today when I posted them on social media. What I didn't add was the phone conversation I had in the grocery store after I got my tattoo done.  

I called up Snickers.  I made it clear we're over.  Get the divorce papers ready.  I've waited long enough for them.

No comments: