As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Nothing Beats the Home Gym... Thursday, December 29

I was a no-go, no-reshow at Anytime Fitness.  Instead, I checked out Gold's Gym.

[Enter my push to go pay Planet Fitness an "interesting" visit here.]

Before hitting the gym, I tried my hand at making something to help me with my laps in the pool at the house we're all staying in.  By "laps" I really mean my lack of ability to do laps because the pool isn't very big and I can cover the length of the pool in only a few strides.  

I saw this invention once, for doing laps, where the swimmer had what appeared to be a harness on their waist.  The harness was connected to this cable that was then connected to a clamp-like apparatus that was clamped unto the edge of the pool wall.  When the swimmer swam away from wall the cable kept them from totally swimming away, it restricted them, and thus it was as if they were swimming laps without actually covering the distance or needing the additional space in the pool.  

I created a similar thing.

I used an exercise resistance band that I had brought along for the trip and a random plastic empty pipe that was laying around the pool area.  I put one end of the resistance band around the pipe and the other around my ankle.  Then I swam forward.

It worked.

It was a great idea until I realized later on that I think I had stretched the band.  Perhaps my constant pulling mixed with the warmed of the water and the pool's chlorine was a bit too much for it.  It's not really damaged but it's also not the same.

After swimming I hit Gold's Gym.

A bit disappointed with the gym.  I was under the impression that it'd be an old school, dirty gym because it's notoriously known for where all the "big buffs" trained (and train).  It just seemed like a more glorified Bally's Fitness or Good Life.  

Gold's Gym was good, I was impressed, but it wasn't the Gold's Gym I had envisioned in my head.  Having said that though, I did really love their functional training room and their modern training equipment that they had, like their Ab Solo machine.  The Ab Solo machine is more like a basketball shooting game except for the fact that every basketball you through is a medicine ball and you have to do a crunch before throwing it.  They had this wicked treadmill that was like a mix between a traditional treadmill and an elliptical machine.  You ran on it like a treadmill but the track rotated on a convex curve so you were like a hamster in one of those rolly-polly balls.  Your feet propelled the track.  I loved it and it was perfect for doing HIIT on.

Training here in Florida has consisted so far with a lot of walking around, aka sight seeing, swimming in the pool, and then some weight training via hitting up Anytime Fitness and Gold's Gym.  It's been nice and it's been interesting but yikes do I miss my gym in Toronto right now -- System Fitness.

No comments: