As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Empowering Myself (and Getting Sweaty too)

I needed to buy new earrings.  I lost the "LO" to my Love earrings, you know the ones I've been wearing for well over a year -- right ear reads "LO" and the left ear reads "VE".
Anyways, I had asked the sales lady at the jewelry shop that I wanted a similar pair of earrings, something that is different.  She recommended silver unicorn earrings.

Korean men sometimes refer to white woman as being unicorns.
I've been called a unicorn numerous times, it's a derogatory term, so to be recommended unicorn earrings.... wow.  

I bought them.
I wear a silver unicorn earring in my left ear and a silver heart in my right.

Unicorns are a fantasy animals and many Korean men fantizie as to what it'd be like to be with a foreign woman, a white woman.  They watch too many Hollywood movies, which doesn't help, and so western woman are portrayed as being much more sexually active and "easy"-going as Korean women.  

Needless to say, the slur "unicorn" is very derogatory.  I remember the first time someone ever called me that. It was the reason why I suddenly dyed my hair black and kept it black for so long.  I figured my small eyes and black hair would confuse many as to what my background was and thus I wouldn't be called a unicorn anymore.  I may have confused some but the name calling continued.

I shared this on my Instagram and noted that sometimes the things that were meant to break you down are what you can use to build yourself up.  I know I comment about the various negative things that happened to me in Korea but there is a lot of positive though.  I feel like I've benefited more from the negative.  It's made me so much stronger than I ever imagined.  And that's why I bought the unicorn earrings, as a reminder that I am so much stronger than anything anyone can throw at me.

I'm embracing the negative by turning it into something positive.
It wasn't a waste of time and energy.  
It was a lesson learned, a character building activity.
And on that note, after picking up my earrings, I went to make my body stronger.
I showed up at System Fitness for a butt-kicking cardio session.
 Love, love, LOVE System.
Kicked off my morning workout with Bruno, Iggy pushed me through the grueling last ten minutes, and then Salt N' Peppa got me to the end.
I finished my morning cardio as a gym nasty athlete.
...and then I came back for more in the evening -- LEG DAY!!!

No comments: