As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

It's Who I Am... Wednesday, January 18

Today's Schedule...
9:30am         Business proposal work and research at the Toronto Reference Library.
2:30pm         Leave the library and go to the Philippine Consolate (meeting regarding my visa/stay).
6:00pm         Attend the showing of "Girl Fight" and discussion panel afterwards.
9:30pm         Weight training at System Fitness -- chest and back.
11:00pm       Light grocery shopping.

Today is the only weekday that I don't have any personal training clients to coach so it gave me a chance to really focus in on my business proposal.  I had some work done on my house today and Balboa had to be out of the apartment while the workers did their stuff so he went to work today with Skittles.  He went to the office and I went to the library.  This meant that I had undivided and uninterrupted time to work on my business proposal today and that I'll have the same tomorrow too.  Balboa going to the office means he runs around soaking up all that attention and hugs from the ladies and then needs the following day to recover from the excitement of it all.

These days I've been reading up on a lot of books here at the library.  I haven't read them from front cover to back but instead have been focusing on select chapters, reading a bit every time I come to the library, making notes, and using what I read accordingly.

These are the current books I'm juggling...
  • "Women Who Don't Wait in Line", by Reshma Saujan
  • "Writing a Convincing Business Plan", by Arthur R. DeThomas
  • "Own Your Future", by Paul B. Brown
  • "Why Now is the Time to Crush It! Cash in on Your Passion", by Gary Vaynerchuk
  • "Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months", by Melinda F. Emerson
  • "Think Like a SheEO", by Vicki Saunders

That last book, "Think Like a SheEO", I just picked up today.  It's a motivational book written by a very empowering female entrepreneur, Vicki Saunders.  She calls herself a SheEO; I love that.  That's like Herstory instead of Hisstory.  Anyways, the book is about her telling her story to success and her desire to equip other like-minded female entrepreneurs with the "SheEO" mentality to also succeed.

In the first couple of pages of her book, Vicki questions why women would want to be an entrepreneur in the first place, when doing so means going against double standards, discrimination and so much hassle.  She noted her thinking behind why and noted "why swim against the tide when you can jump into a whole new ocean?" (Page 9).  I like that; I agree.  It got me thinking too as to why I'm an entrepreneur and my reaction was kind of snapping like hers.  My answer is why not?  In elementary school the teachers told us we could be anything and anyone we want to be.  Was that just a false hope they were feeding us vulnerable, ignorant kids or was it a reality.  I believe it was the truth.  I'm an entrepreneur because of two reasons -- because I want to and I believe that's my calling.  It's my way of giving back, my means of making a difference and my means of making an impact.  I didn't go through Hell and back, gone through all I have, only so that it can just be memories in my head, scars on my heart, and lessons to keep to myself.  God gave me a story to share, skills to expand upon, and a passion to help other women.

No comments: