As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Putting It Out There... Saturday, January 21

For roughly five full hours I sat at the counter in Snakes & Lattes on College, with my music playing in my ears to drown out the packed house, fingers eagerly typing my business ideas down on my iPad, and two large cups of coffee to assist the whole process.  

I had work to do.

Correction, I didn't really have to work.  I could have met with friends, gone out, had fun, but my focus is too zoomed into my business plan.  I have a plan.

I am going to be the next SheEO here in Toronto.

I'm writing that here on my homepage; I'm putting it out into the universe.

Hulk's in Korea was just a trial run, to see if I could do it.  And I did it.  I did it in a foreign country, in a foreign culture, using a foreign language, and I did it as a foreign female.  I signed business deals with men I couldn't even pronunce their names correctly or even fully understand what I was signing.   My board of advisors consisted of a business partner and a business sponsor/mentor who both didn't speak business English, and a long haired, furry blonde girl who didn't even speak beyond the occasional "ruff-ruff" and "boow-bow" -- my four-legged girl, Pyen Chi.    

In Korea I felt like I had a lot to prove -- I had to make my business successful.  But, honestly, here in Canada the pressure I feel is so much different.  It's almost as if no one one expects me to do anything let alone want to make anything beyond the Hulk's I already made.  The pressure I feel is from myself and from Korea but it's basically just from me.  I don't have anything to prove to myself or to others but it'd be nice to prove to Korea that I took all the good, the bad, and the ugly they gave me and made this massive, miraculous, beautiful thing -- my Second Dream.  Show them that my time there wasn't wasted and that the love and strength I did get from living there has brought me to this point that had I not lived there for eleven years I never would have been able to get to.

No comments: