As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, January 27, 2017

Struggling to Stay Awake... Friday, January 27

I have a problem, a kind of sleeping beauty problem.  

My apartment building, like my actual independent unit, has been sucking the life out of me, leaving me totally drained and waking me up with more-than-normal puffy eyes. I'm talking about "look-like-I-was-beaten" puffy eyes, ones where I have no choice but to wake up extra early and ice for fear of freaking out my clients.

It all started a little while ago but this past couple of weeks it's been out of control. It's bad.

I'm talking about me arriving at home, fully awake and fully pumped after a workout but then laying down on my bed and totally passing out -- dead to the world until the next morning.  Trying to wake me up and getting me to get out of bed is like waking the dead.  I go into zombie mode.  I get cranky, can't focus on the simplest of tasks like picking out what to wear, and move around the house at a snail's pace.

Next week I'm moving out of my apartment and it couldn't have honestly come at a better time.  The did some work in my house, because new tenants are moving in soon, and my place hasn't been the same since.  This was about the time my energy levels started to go haywire and my coffee intake skyrocketed.  I thought perhaps my late nights working on my business proposal mixed with my long days of training and early mornings coaching had caught up with me.

Today I crashed.

I was suppose to go sparring tonight at the Fight Club but I had to wait around for my former roommate.  I anticipated her showing up to pick up some of her stuff because of the move next week.

Laid down at 5:40pm for a simple nap.... I was out!!!  I was totally out.

When I mentioned my recent energy crash and complete struggle to function whenever I was home, it was suggested to me that perhaps I'm experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning.  

The first symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
  • Chest tightness or shortness of breath
  • Tiredness
  • Nausea
  • Confusion
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
As for what symptoms I'm experiencing, I'm suffering from tiredness, confusion, headaches, and lots of dizziness. I crash no sooner than my head hits my bed and then I feel punch drunk when I wake up, that's when I do eventually wake up. And then is gets hard for me to focus my eyes. Everything is so blurry.

Thank God I'm moving out in only a few days but the struggle is real.

No comments: