As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

For the Love of Balboa... Tuesday, February 21

I'm convinced after the Hell and back that I was dragged through today that it'd probably be easier to smuggling in a 9lbs brick of coke into the Philippines than legally bring in a 9lbs dog, seriously.  Sure, I may get shot for bringing in that brick but there's going to be a fight if this nonsense with the Philippine Consulate continues.

After the vet, I headed to the Philippine Consulate.
The Philippine Consulate then sent me to the Ontario Government office.
The Ontario Government office then sent me to a lawyer for notarisation.
The lawyer then sent me calling the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency).
The CFIA then told me they had nothing to do with the Ontario Government office.

...I returned home with no more answers than I had left the house with at 9am.  I now had more questions and the only answers I had figured out were ones I stumbled upon and figured out along my five hour chase around the city.

If you're in Toronto and looking for a job, may I recommend you to do me and ALL dog lovers a favour and apply to the Philippine Consulate for the position of importing animals into the Philippines because no one there seems to know how to do it.

I spent five hours travelling all over Toronto today dealing with the legalities and required papers for Balboa.  And then I stayed up till about 3am dealing with the airline on the phone.  It is a dog I'm bringing with me, right?!  Hence my sarcastic opening line about the brick of cocaine.  Not so far-fetched or sarcastic now, right, now that you see the nonsense I've been going through.

Wow.

Shout-outs here to Mr. Balboa Button, who proved to be the bestest of best four-legged friend a girl swimming through legal BS could ever have.  That little boy endured today's crazy five hour hike through Toronto by my side and was so tolerant of all the noises, people, hustle and bustle of the city. He was amazing on the subway, excellent on the bus, perfect in my meetings, and so quiet when I snuck him under my sweater into the Consulate and the lawyer's office.  If I didn't think he was already awesome than today I surely saw first hand how fantastic he is.

Thank you Balboa.  I'm getting dragged through legal Hell trying to get you to the Philippines with me but you're so worth it!!!

No comments: