As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, February 04, 2017

Rest and Recovery Pushed Upon Me... Saturday, February 4

My mind told me to get up, get going to training, but my body said no.  Correction, my body yelled "NO, NO, NO... Hell no!" And just like that I spent most of the day feeling up on rest and recovery.  

Rest and recovery is as important to the development of your body as is training hard and eating clean, a usual speel I tell my clients but so often I consider myself immune to.  It's true.  I schedule my personal training clients "rest days", days off, and yet I repeatively go hard day in and day out, skipping such needed rest days.  

Rest days pick me, I don't pick them.

Rest days are forced days off training for me -- days when my body tells me I've pushed it way too far and it physically can't do anything but spend the day recovering.  

Today my body told me that it needed a rest day via me standing up and almost collapsing on the floor.  My head was pounding and standing up made me nauseous and dizzy.  So, I had no choice but to spend the entire day resting and recovering.  I had gone extra strong at training this week, getting in some real solid training with the weights and at boxing and then getting in two solid sessions of sparring.  Solid training didn't go without injuries though.  There are always some kind of injury but they always seems to be something strange or not directly connected to my training, like slipping on the water by the water fountain and rolling my ankle at boxing or stubbing my toe on a weight left on the ground at weight training.  No real strange injuries this week beyond my traps.  A gym buddy thought it funny to squeeze the hell out of my traps and now they hurt so much.  I swear he squeezed the last drop of life out of them.  This week I'm nursing plantar fasciitis and a bit of knee pain, a sore arm from hyper extending it during heavy bag work, and a sore head due to getting head butted during sparing and taking an unexpected elbow on that same spot on my head.

I pretty much did nothing today, except rest and recover that is which, in my books at least, also meant pushing my patience to its limit and thinking about training all day.

No comments: