As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, March 03, 2017

First Full Day, Day One... Friday, March 3

Day One of life in the Philippines and it's going pretty good.

Checked out a few gyms around my condo and then got in a solid workout -- arms, abs and some quick cardio.

The gym I workout at today is located right across the street from my condo so it's literally a hop, skip and a jump away.  It has a good vibe, despite the dude I kind of yell at when he in his pure cockiness decided to stand right in front of me and start his set.  I take it he's the "Cool Guy" at the gym... Self-proclaimed if you ask me.  He talked to all the ladies and I took it him standing in front of me as I stood at the mirror, doing my scarecrows, was pretty much the equivalency of him either punking me off or making sure I saw him marking his territory.

Ohhhh, guys and their testosterone.  Apparently even the dudes in the Philippines don't know what to do with it.

Anyways...

I liked the gym, a bit on the pricy side if you ask me, but it was a decent size, had a lot of equipment, and I liked the fact that they had a section of the space marked off for more functional training exercises and that it was stocked with appropriate equipment in that area.

Cool point of the gym:  there's a movie theatre cardio room!!!

It's a sound proof room with several treadmills and spinning bikes but it's a dark room because at the front of it there's a large flat screen tv playing whatever movie they're featuring that day.  I did a quick 15min session of HIIT on the treadmill and caught the tail end of "Troy".

I've met a new friend.  She doesn't really know she's my new friend though and she's clueless to the fact that she's in my new girl gang -- "The Phillipines' Pungent Pose".  Triple P baby!!!

We share some common things, my new gal pal and I: we both train at Fitness First, we're both foreigners here and we have the same pants.  The pants were what got her "elected" as my new friend today, when I saw her at the gym.   Oh and we both live in the same condo building.  I noticed this while taking the elevator after breakfast.  I was still sporting my sweaty, nasty training wear but there she stood in the corner of the elevator all dressed up and ready for what may have been work.  I asked her if she worked out at the same gym as me.  She answered yes.  I responded by telling her, "Ya, I thought so... We have the same pants.  Great pants!" 

Met another friend today, one I've heard much about but met face to face for the very first time tonight, at her lounge.  I was invited out so I jumped in an Uber and made the trek.  Holy near-death experiences galore!  Traffic jams at 9pm?!  Yup.  Welcome to the Philippines.

No comments: