As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Getting Gym Nasty Happy... Wednesday, March 29

I washed my socks for boxing the other day and Coach Garry wasn't there to "enjoy" them.  

Hahahaha...

I am a smelly girl.  It comes with being a full time athlete.  I don't have a washing machine so I'm washing clothes every day after training.  And I don't have a dryer or even so much as a balcony in my condo so there's always wet clothes hanging in the doorway that separates my bedroom from the family room.

I trained with the very person I'll be sparring with tomorrow -- Coach Arman.  He said he's excited about sparring with me tomorrow so much so that he's going to sleep at the boxing club tonight... Wow, that's hardcore.  I don't know if he's joking or not but I too am looking forward to sparring with him tomorrow.  It's going to make for an intense week of training with me coming to the club one extra day but hey, that's why I'm here in the Philippines.  This isn't a vacation for me.  

The coaches, staff and fellow boxers here at Elorde are pretty awesome, not going to lie, and I already anticipate myself struggling to have to say goodbye when it comes for me to leave the Philippines.  But, until I have that dreaded moment, I'm training hard and trying to schedule a fight.  I have the possibility of fighting either in Korea, Thailand or the Philippines but honestly Korea no longer interests me, especially considering a plane ticket there from here is about $200-300.  It'd be pretty awesome to fight on behalf of Elorde and I know I'd get a massive crowd of family and friends out but that also means added pressure.  My contact for a fight in Thailand is also a common friend of Snickers' and I'm not too sure if that reassures me he'd set things up right for me or if it's a possible yellow flag.  All I know is I've got two more for sure months here in the Philippines and if I'm to sign for a fight here in Asia it'll have to be signed in the next month.  Pressure is on.  

No comments: