As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

An Almost Missed Connection... Saturday, April 8

I still wasn't feeling good, my head that is.  I took a mean head butt on Thursday at sparring and was suggested to not train today but I figured I'd fight through it.  

And, let me tell you, it was a good thing I did go -- a very fabulous thing!

I struggled through the last couple of rounds of pad work.  Six rounds never were so rough, seriously.  My body was going hard and strong but my mind was just not fully there.  I felt such a disconnection; it was so bad.  But just when I thought my pad work was done and I could ease through the rest of my training (or perhaps call it quits and go home), Coach Garry approached me and said that the lady behind me wanted to train with me.

I honestly didn't know what he said.  His mouth moved and my brain fazed out.  

Did she want to train me?
Did she want to be trained by me?
Or did she want to train with me?!?!

I took it as she wanted to train with me so I set up the agility ladder and pylons for the footwork drills and then resumed training.  She followed right beside me, mimicking everything and anything I was doing... No pressure.  "Are you going to do abs?", she then asked me.  "For sure", I told her.  I always do abs but was going to go light today.  My head was very much in the clouds and by clouds I don't mean "cloud nine", I mean in a fog and definitely not mentally there at the moment.

Abs it was though, and I went hard on them.

4 exercises x 30 reps each, x2 sets... For a grand total of 240 crunches (with a 10lbs weight).

While training with her, she asked me what I was doing in the Philippines and how long I've been here, etc.  I told her I'm just here training and looking to sign for a fight.  She asked me what my training schedule is like so I told her it and then she asked about the exact days and times I'm here at Elorde Boxing Club.  "I'll see about joining you for more training then", she told me.  We took a few pictures together and she even took video of us doing abs together.  

Partway through our training she asked me if I knew who she was.  I had no idea.  Turns out she's part owner of this particular Elorde!  Her and her husband own this club location.

Talk about an awesome contact!

We ended our training together by her asking me if I'd like to join a Zumba class with her one day, exchanging contact info, and me jokingly tell her I'd proudly fight with Elorde splattered all over my uniform (me hinting for her to get me a fight).

And to think I almost didn't go boxing today!!!

1 comment:

Jacky said...

That's so awesome. I"m so excited for you!! :-D