As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Be Careful for What You Wish For.... Monday, April 17

Sundays are sad for me in the Philippines but Mondays always balance me out.  Mondays always get me on back track, back to focusing on what and why it is I'm here.

T.G.I.M.  Thank God it's Monday!!!

Walking into the boxing club, into Elorde, I was instantly refreshed.

There were 7 of us female fighters training.
One of the females who had cheered me on during my sparring on Saturday greeted me with cheers for a solid training session today and had smiles to spare for me.
I met a new female friend -- a super sweet girl Greece.
I was told I was spotted in Eastwood on the weekend by a female fighter and her husband.  She apologized for not saying hi; they were in a restaurant and unable to.
My fist-bumping buddy greeted me with a fist bump, of course.
The two young boxers I'm most impressed with were there training hard.
An older gentleman that I often joke with was there, full of jokes to share with me.
The music was pumping loud and it was feeding the place with great energy.

No sooner had I put my bag of gear down on the back table I was then approached by Coach Garry, Coach Rocky, Coach Arman, and another coach.

They have a fight for me.

Turns out they made some calls and, you know that amateur tournament I mentioned earlier, well, they contacted some key people and arranged for a pro fight to be on the card.

Four rounds at 115lbs.

Only one problem, it's for May 27th.  My plane leaves May 28th.

I was aiming to head up to Korea for a few days, to gather my stuff and deal with things regarding my club and Snickers, but if I take this fight I won't go.  I won't go because I can't go.  I can't have him get into my head.  I can't have Korea pull at my heart and make me feel guilty for leaving.  I miss my club and my Hulkies but I am so much safer, healthier, and happier with where I am with my life.

Taking this fight means I won't be and can't go to Korea.

Korea or this fight, that is the decision I now have till Wednesday to make.

No comments: