As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, April 03, 2017

I'm Feeling "In"... Monday, April 3

I arrived at Elorde and was greeted by a fist bump by one boxer, a high five from another, a very loud hello from one coach, a pat on the shoulder by another and a third asked me if I wanted to spar.  I signed in at the front desk and the girl there asked me if I wanted to play my music and then a new boxing buddy of mine greeted me with a big smile and a hug.

I get hugs now when I arrive at boxing?! That's pretty sweet.

Every thing today at Elorde Boxing reminded me of UP Boxing, my former club in Korea -- pre-Hulk days.  It reminded me of Hulk's too, in some things, and of Korea.  It reminded me of all the good things Korea used to be to me and why year after year I stopped looking for reasons to return to Canada and instead found reasons why to stay.  

I'm pretty comfortable here at Elorde now, that's fair to say, but it doesn't mean they cut me any slack with continually training me hard day after day.  I'm pretty comfortable weight training at Fitness First too but unlike at Elorde the people at Fitness aren't as friendly.  Besides the part time workers, like the cleaning ladies and front staff, none of their trainers have ever said hi to me or even so much as smiled back at me.  I have however become a familiar face among those training so I do now get a lot of members saying hi to me or offering me a smile.  

I miss System Fitness even more so when I am at Fitness First because everyone there was so friendly and approachable.  The trainers here have nothing on the trainers at System except for expression-less faces and smaller bodies.  

No comments: