As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Trying to Figure Out the Next Step... Wednesday, April 5

Trained with Coach Arman today on account that Coach Garry has Wednesdays off.  I'd like to think Coach Arman likes training me because he knows I'm dedicated to the sport, to training hard and to improving my game but a part of me feels like he likes to train me because he and Coach Garry like to try to break me.  

Six rounds of pad work got extended to eight rounds.  That's an extra six minutes in addition to the already eighteen minutes... 24 minutes.

After an exhausting boxing session at Elorde, I then returned to the condo, showered, ate, and then headed over to Starbucks to work on my business proposal.  I haven't been working too eagerly or diligently on it because, well, honestly I've been feeling a bit lost with it.  I feel like the Philippines is an amazing medium between Canada and Korea in that it has the best of both worlds... and I really, really love my boxing club here.  

Side note, Elorde is awesome but the Elorde club I'm at is fantastic... just saying. 

I sat down at Starbucks, determined to work on my business proposal but with me already feeling exhausted from boxing and this particular Starbucks shop lacking an espresso machine for the day, till a new one comes tomorrow, my focus was lacking.  

The struggle was real.

I'm one of those classic procrastinators who puts things off that they don't want to work on till last minute.  I know I need to work on it but I'm kind of up in the air with where to take it next.  I mean, it's almost as if every other day I'm flooded with thoughts of opening up my business here.  I went location scouting yesterday for a business outside of my own but it got me thinking about where abouts in the Philippines I'd like to pop mine up if I were to go that route.  I find myself looking at buildings and envisioning my business there.  I can see a very clear mental picture of how it'd look like walking into it.  It'd be a loft style building, a corner lot with an entire wall that'd either be one massive garage door I'd open up during business hours or a wall full of massive windowpanes.  I'd love to go the garage door route so I could open it up, let the breeze in and let the music and noise of what's going on inside stop those passing by on the outside.  

The complications of opening my business in Canada are what make me nervous but there's even more complications with doing it here in the Philippines, with me being a foreigner a big hurdle to jump over.  I feel like opening up something here in the Philippines would be similar to doing so in Korea and I've proven that I can do it.  I started two businesses in Korea.  Legally, I have more contacts and help here in the Philippines.  As for Canada, me being a native there helps a lot but I feel like Canada is so complicated.  There are so many rules and regulations, so much fine print and finer print that is just nonsense and annoying.  

To me, Korea was the land of opportunity and Canada was the land of freedom.  Am still trying to figure out what the Philippines is though.

No comments: