As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

In the Big City... Wednesday, May 31

Anticipated sparring today with Killer Bee didn't go as planned.  No Killer Bee but yes to sparring.  Ended up sparring with Coach Adrian on account my opponent just got a tattoo done.  Coach Adrian posed as a tough opponent due to the major height advantage and reach he had on me but it was good.

Finally am in Toronto!!!

I've been staying at my dad's place out in Whitby and it's been good but it's a life that is much slower and quieter than I live so I was quick to jump on the GO Train and head to Toronto.  Showed up at Union, jumped on the TTC and then arrived at the office where two of my good friends work.  Coffee with the Captain at his office turned into me being treated out for dinner.

It felt so good to be back in the presence of friends I really care a lot about but it was a whole other story being in Toronto.  I love Toronto but I felt kind of lost in it.  The last time I was here I was buzzing around the city, juggling personal training clients, slaving away at my business proposal at the library, and just always on the go -- going places, seeing people, doing a million and one things.  

I'm not on vacation here.  I came here because I never did expect to stay in the Philippines beyond the three months I had agreed to.  But things have changed, things have changed for the better, so I came here to pack up my life and get closure.

If there ever was a doubt with my decision to stay in the Philippines than there is definitely not a doubt anymore.  It's not like anything bad happened here; I just feel it in my gut that my decision was right now and I think it took me to return here to really feel it. 

I miss the Philippines but I miss my friends here so much.

I lived in Korea for 11.5 years, Toronto (Canada) for 1.5yrs and then the Philippines for 3 months.  I'm drawn to Asia, that's a for sure, but coming back here has served to open my eyes.  I don't think I ever fully "came back" to Canada after Korea.  A part of me stayed over there while the other half juggled fitting in with not really being able to adapt to life here.  

No comments: