As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Keeping On Pushing On... Wednesday, May 17

Finally caught up on all my business emailing today. 

Friday I’m scheduled to sit down and attack my financials for my business proposal.

[Enter a big loud, overly sarcastic “oh fun” right here!!!]

I’m such a procrastinator when it comes to dealing with things I don’t want to deal with, I’m well aware of this, so I’m giving myself a heads up notice.

Note to self, you WILL do your financials on Friday, no ifs, ands, or buts about it!!!

I sat at Starbucks today for a little over 5 hours today, plugging away at my business planning, and I had a bit of a mini panic attack when I was doing online research and discovered a company that’s doing something somewhat like mine. Key word being “somewhat”. They got good reviews online and I like what they’re doing but I know they’re not really competition for what I’m about to launch because mine is still so different. Everyone whom I’ve shared my business idea with thinks it’s awesome. I shared my idea today with a new friend at boxing and he was so excited, that is until I told him men aren’t allowed at my company. Only once a month will men be allowed into my business’ vicinity. 

Side note here, I haven’t really shared with many who I am here in the Philippines with, who is mentoring me with my business plan, so I feel like I should reveal that here. It’s only about time I did. 

I am here with Skittles. 

Back in Toronto he shared with me his business proposal and it’s because of him I came to the Philippines in the first place. He said he was only going for three months so I said I’d come along. It’d get me closer to Korea, making it easier for me to go there and settle things up with Hulk’s and Snickers, and it’d give me three solid months of grade A boxing training and working on my own business plan. He just got word that he’s landed his desired location for his business, his investors are all in and his plan is quickly becoming a physical reality. It’s pretty awesome to be here experiencing it with him. I’m sitting here watching first hand his dream become a reality and it’s so incredibly inspiring.  It's inspiring but it's also super intimidating because he's throwing around all this business lingo and legal points that feel like a foreign language to me.

Skittles has been mentoring me with my business plan and sometime it feels like he and I talk business 24/7… well, business and Balboa. He’s so in love with Balboa and has really taken on shared responsibility with taking care of him. Skittles knows part of my Second Dream includes adopting another four-legged companion and I’ve already named her – Olga Ali. Originally Olga was going to be a boxer and then I decided on an English Bulldog, but just recently I’ve re-fallen in love with French Bulldogs. I was hesitant to even consider getting a French Bulldog because my first dog was one, Jo Mi Nam, and I was completely heartbroken when he died. Truthfully, I’ve never been more heartbroken over any death in my entire life than that of my beautiful little Frenchie, Mi Nam. I still to this day get choked up over it and I still hold resentment towards Snickers for telling me Mi Nam was okay after he rushed him to the vet when he was told differently. He lied and that just added insult to injury. 

Skittles is really pushing me to do my financials and I know I need to get on it but tonight he added a temptation to my situation. He told me that if I got my financials in order before I left for Canada that when I returned to the Philippines Olga would be waiting here for me. Originally the plan was to adopt her when I signed the legal documents for my company’s location so this temptation is a pretty sweet and unexpected one. I’m not too sure if I’ll let him go through with it though, perhaps it might not keep me as focused as I need to be and waiting till I get my location till I get her is a bigger incentive to continue at full speed.

No comments: