As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

It's ALWAYS Been More than "Just a Sport"

Boxing has opened so many doors for me, I've met so many fantastic people and have gone to so many fabulous countries because of it -- Japan, Korea, Thailand, Mexico, and the Philippines. I've launched two companies because of it (Flipside Fitness and Hulk's Boxing) and now I'm about to start my third. And to think it all started back in the day, when I first stepped into EMBA, in Toronto. My first coach ever was Olympian Silver Medalist, Egerton Marcus, and when I left Canada over 12yrs ago he gave me this very tank top. I've taken it to ever country I've trained and fought in. Today I wore it for sparring and today I want to say thank you to him. Thank you Coach Egerton, you opened me up to the wonderful world of boxing and I've been in love with it ever since.
Took a beating from Coach Arman today in our six rounds of sparring and at the end of it I was a bit sad. In two weeks I'll be visiting Canada and then returning to the Philippines but moving to a new city and, consequently, training at a different boxing club. I promised Coach Arman I'd visit at least every few weeks so we can spar. Coach Arman is one of my favourite people here that I've met in the Philippines and I'm not ready to give him up for this move.

No comments: