As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Lift Off... Sunday, May 28

The flight from the Philippines to Taiwan was smooth sailing.
The flight from Taiwan to Canada was not.

"Hello passengers," the flight attendant said on the plane's intercom.  "We're going to delay the meal a bit because of turbulence.  But don't worry, we'll get through the turbulence and we'll feed you very soon.  We expect the turbulence to last for the next 3 to 4 hours."

"Did she just say 3 to 4 hours?!"  I asked the Japanese lady beside me.  She didn't know.

Three to four hours and yet we were only thirty minutes into the flight, great.  Thankfully the turbulence didn't last that long but it started off really bad.  I watched as people's drinks splashed all over the place and a kid sitting across the isle, a few rows up, puked a couple of times.  It was a very rough start to a very long flight.

My plan was to beat the potential of jet lag by staying up the entire two flights and eating as little as possible. I figured this would leave me hungry and exhausted so I'd crash once I reached my parent's home in Canada.  I preoccupied myself by watching a movie, working on my business proposal via my iPad, and listening to music.  My plan was going good until I got to the last three hours of my flight and then it was a struggle.  The struggle to stay awake was real.  

Finally I arrived in Toronto at Pearson Airport.  My dad was there to greet me.

When I arrived at my parent's home, the house were I was raised, I was all too eager to throw my laundry in the machine and hit the sack.  Ever since my mom died, my dad has become overly cautious about things so he didn't want me to leave the drier on unattended.  He suggested I do the laundry tomorrow but some of my clothes haven't seen a laundry machine since I was last in Canada, three months ago.  I've been washing the majority of my clothes by hand because I go through so much clothes because of training twice a day and then spending the rest of the day sweating it out in other clothes because of the heat and humidity.  

Ended up staying up to make sure the clothes dryer doesn't spontaneously combust and burn the house down... no sarcasm there, gosh no.

No comments: