As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Party Pooper... Saturday, May 6

I had missed out on yesterday's much anticipated party because of being sick.  I wasn't going to miss tonight's.

"...even if there's a bomb threat?!"

Okay, so maybe that's the one exception and well, guess what happened tonight.  There was a bomb threat at the Heineken party I attended.  I hadn't been there long, just long enough to get in a good tease of the cool beats and chill vibes of the place, when suddenly the DJ spinning spoke into the mic.

"I don't want to scare you but there's been a bomb threat", he said.  Then he continued to tell us to please leave the building quietly, as to not create a commotion or ciaos.  So I left.  We all did, well, those that I knew.  And just like that the party was over.

Wait... not just yet.

We ended up taking our party over to 20 20, a super hip club in the next city that I've been to before.  It's such a hotspot and it always sports a big crowd and fab beats.  

I Googled the bomb threat and found out that today there were two bombs that had gone off earlier, within a couple of hours of each other, and the news was saying that they were worried about a third. I couldn't find too much about it, you'd be surprised at just how much news doesn't make the news, at least not news outside of this country or in English on the Internet.  I heard that one of the bombs was sent via a parcel and both the deliverer and reciever were killed because of it and 6 others were injured.  I don't know anything about the other bomb though and I don't really need to know because the fact that I was at a place that got evacuated because of a possible bomb was shocking enough.

I had updated my Facebook status tonight before I went to bed and commented about the bomb threat.  Concerned friends responded with telling me to "come back home" and "be safe" but honestly, after living over 11 years in Korea and now 2 months in the Philippines, I can honestly say I feel so much safer here in Asia.  Even with the bomb threat, I still feel safer here actually.    I always thought Canada was super safe until I spent over a decade in Korea and then moved back to Canada.  I then saw, felt and experienced the differences right away and it was unsettling and upsetting.  

No comments: