As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Fist and Funnies... Friday, June 16

I've only been training at my new club, Elite Boxing, for a week now but I've been repetitively asked by one of the coaches to spar with his leading fighter, a female boxer.  Today he approached me again and I accepted the challenge.  We spar tomorrow morning. 

Today I boxed and then I napped for a bit.

In the evening I attended a live comedy show I was given tickets too, that was pretty cool.  The show was called "Angry Indians" and honestly, at first, it was rather difficult trying to understand what the comedians were saying because of their thick accents, especially when they talked fast.  The show was good and I had my favourites but one thing that raised a lot of eyebrows were their continual jokes about drugs.  There were 5 comedians and it seemed like almost everyone of them made some kind of drug joke.  One even went so far as to call the crowd out and ask if anyone sold drugs amongst us.  "They do know people are getting shot here because of drugs, right?!" I commented to those at my table.  I personally think they had overstepped the boundaries with it and those sitting around me agreed.  Besides the awkwardness with that though the show was good.

As for the waitstaff and food... brutal.  The staff didn't know what they were doing, they couldn't keep track of what food went to what table and the food was super greasy.  I ordered spring rolls and they were more like grease rolls if you ask me.  I could only stomach one of the three and then I felt like my throat had become an oil slick.  I think the lack of service and questionable food definitely took away from the show.  It was so distracting watching the show while tables around me kept on waving to the waitstaff and complaining about this and that.

Despite the flaws in the event though it was a lot of fun.  I guess the waitstaff and food, as much as they distracted me, they kind of added to the amusement of the evening.  Sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh.  Don't take life so seriously.

No comments: