As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Getting It Done... Thursday, June 29

TODAY'S SCHEDULE...
  • Go to Immigration to deal with my visa.
  • Pick up my care package at the post office.
  • Go get my business cards from the printer's office.
  • Line designs at Union Station.
  • Weight training -- upper body.
  • Attend a business dinner party.

With one day till I'm illegal in this country, I'm officially legal again... sweet.  I got my visa extended and was told that if I leave the country I'll have to reapply for another one so it's best I don't leave.  No problem.  I wasn't planning on leaving anyways but now I can't really leave for the next 6 months... no snow and no chance to see it?!  Perfect!

The only thing I really had to do was to go to Immigration to deal with my visa and pick up my special care package that The Captain mailed me.  Two places but five hours later I was finally arriving home.  Welcome to the "wonderful" world of Filipino traffic.  I've come to the conclusion that traveling anywhere in this country means writing off half your day.  Today's Immigration office was in the same city as me, Makati, and the post office was in the neighbouring city but traffic is brutal here.  Consequently, whenever I hear my friends in Canada complaining about traffic now my automatic reaction is to roll my eyes and shake my head.  

The Captain sent me a care package and I was so thrilled to open it -- natural, chunky peanut butter, Tim Horton's coffee, dental treats for Balboa, and a card.  It's a toss up on who was more excited about this care package, Balboa or me.  I gave him one of the doggie treats and he went to town on it, chewing it like his life depended on it!

I decided to get my hair done today so I searched out a barber shop I had been recommended to because of their line work -- Union Station Barbershop.  It was a 10 minute walk from my house so I headed there today and got my hair done.  My hair has very much because a big part of my identity here in the Philippines and has made me all that more memorable.  On route to Union, a lady standing beside me, waiting also for the cross walk light, turned to me and started talking to me.  She asked me how I liked the One Championship fight tournament and about a few other things.  Honestly, I couldn't recall if I had met her or where I would have met her but apparently we had crossed paths.

"Ya, I definitely can never change my hair", I thought to myself.

I did a lot of running around today, a lot of errands and work, but later in the evening I was able to get in a solid upper body workout down in my condo gym.  I was training on the cable machine when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.  My lats looked solid and I could see my hardwork slowly but surely revealing itself so I snapped a picture.  I posted it on Instagram was originally going to write about how my ex really tried hard to break me down, break my wings, but joke was on him because he may have broken me but I grew my own wings, in the gym.  I thought about putting that but I was in such a good mood and really didn't care to give him any extra credit or give him the benefit of thinking he helped build me.  Instead, I wrote about how every day I working to better myself -- better than yesterday.

No comments: