As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea on February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I am now, living in the land of the happy people. The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love. Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

One Wicked Kickoff for the Weekend... Saturday, June 17

With my 14oz gloves on, in the second round I worked my combos, going from head to body, body to head, and then the ref told us to break.  They gave my opponent a standing count.  She got a standing count and I got warned "not to hurt her".  

This was sparring.  

It was a bit weird being announced as "fighting out of Korea" but the whole sparring had already been hyped so much this week that I wasn't really surprised.  It was their leading female fighter against me, "the new girl".  I really didn't know what to expect in terms of the level of my opponent's technical skills and whatnot but their eagerness to get me to agree to fight her made it seem as if they were signing me up to get publicly embarrassed and put in my place.  

We went three rounds and, like I've always said, I always have respect and props for those who step into the ring.  She took a beating from me several times in the corner but kept on going and then even after the count she continued on.  That's dedication right there.  

I stepped out of the right after the sparring only to be given a few minutes break before Coach Bogs yelled at me to put my gloves back on and do pad work with him.  Back at Elorde, when I had sparring days, I was left to do my own training after sparring.  Apparently it's not the same here at Elite.  It was like a regular boxing session, which I should note is already gruelling enough as it is but with it being kicked off with sparring.  It made for a very brutal workout and I left feeling exhausted but on a high from the success of sparring and the reactions I got from not only the fellow fighters there but also the coach.  I was approached after sparring and asked if I wanted to sign for a fight. Ummm... hell yes!  

I spent a good chunk of my afternoon in lazy mode, lounging on the couch with Balboa on my tummy.

I was smart in that I headed out to pick up lunch right after sparring because once I got home and showered it was as if I had hit a brick wall.  My energy was spent.

Mustard up some energy in the early evening, got in a solid arm workout and then I headed out to a music event that a promotor had invited me to.  It was pretty awesome and I think I have found my new favourite Pinoy music group -- Lust Bass.

No comments: