As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

First Day with Elite Boxing... Saturday, June 10

Enjoyed a gorgeous breakfast out at a place called WIldflour.  I've been to one of their other locations but, and this is me not being biased here, but their location here in Makati is by far so much better.  You walk in and instantly your senses are bombarded with the smells of the pastries overcrowding the massive counter, the sights of the gorgeous decor, and the sounds of people laughing and enjoying their meals and each other.

I was treated out to two beautiful dining spots today, one for breakfast and then another for dinner.

For dinner, I met up with some new friends at an Indian hotspot located in the back alley of my condo.  Filipinos are all about their "hidden gems" -- trendy, hip places that aren't out in the open but instead are tucked away in back alleys and side streets.

In between breakfast and dinner, I killed it at boxing.

Today I had my first training session at my new boxing club -- Elite Boxing Club.  It's located on the next street behind my condo.  I've visited them before, to get prices, but today I showed up to pay my membership fees and start my training.

Upon arriving, I was asked to fill out a form but I was hesitant with what to write for my answers because I kind of wanted to go under the radar and not really have them know too much about me, especially my previous boxing experience.

Place of employment.... Ummm.... Hulk's Boxing and KBC (Korean Boxing Commission).

Job.... Hmmm, starving athlete/budding entrepreneur?!  I put down "pro boxer" and upon the front desk lady noticing my answer, she blurted it out and got excited.

My new coach is Coach Bogs, a young male fighter who fights at 105lbs and stands just a bit taller than me.  I have my own routine I usually do at training but that was back at Elorde, now I'm at Elite, so I decided to just do whatever Coach Bogs instructed me to do.  I shot my mouth off a bit when I commented that they were having me do 3 minute rounds but allowing me a 1 minute rest in between rounds.  And on that note Coach Bogs yelled at me to continue into the rest break and only allowed me 30 seconds rest.  This got the attention of others training and at one point, when I walked past two girls, I overheard one girl tell her friend "that girl is scary".

I'm "scary" apparently, nice.  I'll take that as a compliment.

No comments: