As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Team Filipina... Saturday, June 24

If there ever were a day I wished I were back in Korea it'd be today.  Today five of my amateur fighters from Hulk's were fighting, one of which was our most notorious and strongest boxer, Kato (WOW Motor's son).  Four of the five won their bouts so major props and congrats to them. 

If I were in Korea today though it wouldn't be the Hulkies' fights I'd be attending, it'd be a particular female bout I'd be ringside, yelling and screaming.  It's a fight that wasn't so loudly advertised and I think I know why.  "This is Korea", a line someone once told me when I was announced as the loser of a fight I won.  How ironic, the very person that apologised to me after the fight and said that particular line was the very same coach with the very same opponent that was stepping up to fight today. 

Today in Korea a Filipino female fighter I'm friends with with went against a former opponent of mine but anyone who knows anything about Korean boxing knows she went against more than just her opponent so major props to her, wow.  

Win or learn, I'm going to hire her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, thanks for sharing. How nice to have an update on your friends from Korea.

Loved seeing Kato and WOW, they both look good. Kato has grown up! He looks more like a man and less a kid, now. I'm so happy for him and his boxing success, good for him! WOW looks lean and fit, good for him.

Snickers, however, doesn't look that great, his face is all big and swollen. It's probably from too much MSG from too much eating out. Oh, well.

It was nice to see Kato.

Your Long Time Reader