As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Always Building My Network... Wednesday, July 26

Initially I was suppose to attend a female-only amateur boxing tournament today.  It was scheduled to start at 3pm and continue tomorrow but due to the total lack of female participants it started at 11am and only consisted of 6 bouts so it was a one day short event. 

No boxing tournament today but I then got invited to a business networking event tonight.

It took me close to 2 hours to get out to BGC from Makati for the event due to the traffic.  I had anticipated brutal traffic so I gave myself limited time to recover from today's morning boxing before hitting the gym for weight training.  I arrived a bit late but it was late to start; that's "Island time" for you.

Slowly but surely the room filled up with people, all like-minded entrepreneurs who were at various stages in their success stories but none the less really pushing to make it.  The focus of tonight's event wasn't on the success stories of the three speakers but of their mess-ups -- their stories of failure.  It was interesting hearing the stories but I was more interested in mingling with everyone after the speeches and open discussion.  I wanted to know who was sitting here amongst us.  There's always someone who I can pitch my ideas to, bounce ideas off of and get an added perspective.  

I was one of the first to arrive for the event and one of the last to leave but I left with having met a couple of strong female contacts, awesome, and got requested to possibly speak at a future event, even more awesome.

Me for the win... a double win. 


No comments: