As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Checking Out the Gyms... Thursday, July 13

On Thursdays I am always accompanied and treated out to a beautiful breakfast.

A beautiful breakfast with a beautiful man; it's quite the way to start another beautiful day... for sure.

Today was anticipated to be a packed one so jump starting it with my favourite meal of the entire week was exactly the perfect way to start it.  After breakfast, I then headed back home to change and start my day of work. 

I had scheduled my day to consist of meeting with six different gyms located in and around my area of Makati.  It was my attempt at conducting market research so that I could better fine tune my own business outline and details.  The plan was to visit each of these six gyms, snap pictures, check out their facilities and amenities, and then discuss with their staff the pricing and whatnot.  And that's exactly what I did.

Each gym was so different.  

I visited the smallest of gyms -- 4Fitness, a private one-room studio that only does one-to-one personal training.  And I visited the largest of gyms -- Primal Ape, a crossfit gym that's located in a massive oversized warehouse.  I think my favourite among them all was Functional Fitness but it was a toss up with 360 Fitness because the staff there were super nice and our conversation included high fives and lots of laughs.  

All in all, it was really interesting to visit each of these 6 gyms and everyone I talked to was more than pleasant to me.  I got a lot of great ideas from them and even scored a few free passes too so that was awesome.  I'm curious to possibly take my "market research" a bit further and use these free passes and even go so far as to purchase a few one-to-one personal training sessions with a select few of them.  

Today I met with 6 gyms -- 6 on my list of 12.  Am halfway done.  I'll finish the other half next week.

No comments: