As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Disappointment and Discovery... Sunday, July 2

Everyone is going to have their two cents on what went down with Pacquiao's fight today and I'm fully anticipating it to get down right dirty, ugly and mean.

I don't want to feed into the ugliness that is about to be created so I don't really want to not comment too much on the fight beyond saying it was a close fight, much more action packed than most anticipated, and I thought Pac won.  There's no denying the facts of the fight, like the punches thrown, and how Pac dominated the numbers but I also know the judges aren't sitting there calculating such facts.  Horn fought dirty with his head butting, clinching and elbowing.  Horn kept Pac on the ropes and Pac continually back stepped so it looked like he was retreating.  I get that.  Horn looked like the dominating fighter because his stature towered over Pac and he kept on fighting forward.  He fought dirty.  

"It's okay.  It's part of the game", Pacquiao said after the fight and as much as I want to argue that it's not okay I do agree that it's part of the game.  He took a fight in another country and went against the local kid, in a stadium all busting with home fans.  Home advantage is huge, perhaps that's why his opponent Horn has never fought in another country... just saying.

But ya... enough about that.  I still love Pac and he's still very much the home hero in the Philippines.

Tonight I went location hunting for my business.  A friend picked me up in her truck and we toured around the city, checking out local buildings, talking to random security guards and taking down numbers posted on the sides of buildings I liked.  I found three possible places but am really holding my breath for one particular place.  It's a former car dealership located off a main street.  It has an impressive amount of front parking, the entire front of the building is a massive window, it has high ceilings, has been well maintained, and part of it is split into two floors with offices and small rooms.

The second spot is in a warehouse complex with a gym located at the end of it.  It too has wicked parking and high ceilings but the perk of this place is that because it's located by another gym and a fitness equipment/clothing store, the three of us sports-related businesses would attract a lot of attention and could bounce business off of each other.  The beauty of it is that we're not competing businesses, instead our presence beside each other compliments each other. It's like the stores in Korea -- the street where all the cellphone shops reside or the long narrow street with all the furniture shops on it.  Those streets automatically attract it's own clientele because people know these streets, it's a go-to must, an instant hot spot.

No comments: