As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Injuries Aren't a New Thing but They're a Pain... Friday, July 28

Training injured.  The struggle is real.

On Wednesday I did an overhead press squat, maxed out with the reps and ended up falling onto the gym floor.  CRASH, down I went.  I woke up on Thursday not really being able to lift my right arm above my shoulder.  No problem, I thought.  I'll just take it a bit easy on the weights tonight and train a different muscle group that doesn't put so much stress on my shoulders.

Today I woke up and my right shoulder was perfectly fine.

My right shoulder was fine but the right side of my neck was super stiff.

I tried to massage it out before boxing and even trained through the pain at the club but when I got to doing speed bag work I ran into difficulty.

The speed bag is attached to a wooden frame that stands much higher than I am tall so I have to stand on a wooden box to reach it.  However, with my arms up above my head and my face pointed upward, the strain on my neck was,... well... pretty brutal.  

Did three rounds on the sand bag and boy did those feel like some super long rounds!!!

Plan is to get a massage, rub some Muscle Care on it, and then hope it's better for Monday boxing. 


No comments: