As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Unsure of the Pink... Monday, July 31

I thought I was pass how Korea made me feel and over all the insecurities it gave me until I had to head out to boxing today.  I had pink hair and it'd be their first time seeing it.  I'm very much a familiar face there with everyone and am super comfortable but I still felt super shy heading in for training with a head full of bright pink hair.  I knew they'd give me their honest opinion and I was kind of nervous about that because I still don't know how I feel about this hair colour of mine.

I had braided my hair before heading off to boxing, something I usually do at the club instead of at home.  I thought perhaps with some of it pulled back into the braid it'd tame the colour down a bit.

No such luck.   Everyone saw it and everyone commented.  Everyone's comments were compliments.

A part of me was relieved, a part of me was flattered, but a part of me was disappointment in myself though for assuming they'd be anything but their usual sweet selves.  They are really a great crowd at Elite Boxing, seriously, and today me walking into the club with in-your-face pink hair was a true testimony to just how accepted I am here compared to Korea.  

I am so happy here in the Philippines.

No comments: