As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Disconnecting to Connecting... Tuesday, August 1

Skittles goes to the movies to disconnect, I go run.  How ironic when you consider I'm already training like a beast and sometimes the pressure of training and the injuries from it are what stress me out.  

Running and napping, my two means of disconnection.

Tonight I went running and not because I particularly needed to disconnect but because I felt the need to connect... connect to people that is that do things I like to do, like workout and run.  I have an amazing list of people I associate myself with here, an inspiring and supportive list actually, but it's not the same.  

Recently I joined a running team and three times I've already had to cancel because of work-related stuff that's come up.  Tonight I wasn't going to let anything stand in my way.  In the morning I went to the Fort with Skittles for his business planning and then had spent a good chunk of my day over at the Cash & Carry Mall.  I got my crop sweater printed, bought socks for training, got my iPad fixed, and got my boot camp flyers printed.   

Six hours later and I was finally returning back to my condo.

Headed out a little bit after 8pm to meet up with the Makati Running Club.  We were scheduled to meet at 8:30pm so I showed up a bit early, met with the leader, chatted and then met some of the other runners.  We did one lap around the Ayala Triangle Garden, stretched and then started our run.  I was anticipating running with my music blasting in my ears and had fixed up my playlist accordingly but a conversation with one of the group leaders, Robert, and I was sparked.  I knew he was one of the strongest runners in the group so the competitive athlete in me was quick to surface.  I had told myself that I'd keep up with him and wouldn't stop running until he did.  There was no set number of laps the group of us was to run.  Some paired off while others separated and went at their own pace, did their own number of laps around Ayala.  My set of laps and pace was all based on Robert.

The run ended with us all meeting back at the start spot and doing some strength training.  They were sweet enough to participate in a group silly picture upon which we all decided to jump on the count of three.  We did three attempts at the group picture and then parted ways after saying bye to each other. 

I had left the condo at 8pm and arrived back around 10:30pm.  

It had started to pour when I reached the end of my street but it made for such a refreshing end to a solid run that was super fun.  

Running is fun?!  Ummmm... yes, it can be.  Throw in some sweet runners to run with in the mix and it definitely can be fun.  Robert and I chatted the entire run and got into quite the deep conversation about being true to what you want and how energy is contagious.  He was super positive and his positive energy meant I totally lost track of just how many laps we had actually ran.  

No comments: