As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, August 11, 2017

Down to the Crunch... Friday, August 11

Last week I started to write that nomination support letter for my boxing coach in Canada, Olympian Silver medalist.  I started as in I sat down to brainstorm this and that but never really wrote any full sentences.

Today I took another attempt.

I was told it was to be 250 words.  

I had convinced myself that I'd write it from start to finish today so I sat down, popped up the laptop, turned on some brain-energizing beats, and opened up a fresh, new Word file.  

I was ready.

I was writing. 

And then I stopped to do a word count... exactly 1,000 words... oh gosh.

And then I read the actual award submission write-up details,... it stated it had to be under 200 words.

But how could I go from 1,000 words to under 200 when there was just so much I thought appropriate to share.  The letter had to be about how Egerton influenced my life and there was no way on God's green Earth that I could possibly ever sum it up in such a short write.
...so that's how I started my letter.

"How do I even begin to shed light on a man who has made such a positive impact on me that has had a life-changing, unimaginable domino effect..."

And from that one sentence I scrapped everything else I had written and started completely fresh.  When I finished I did a word count, 253 words, so that's when I called in Skittles to help me nit pick and cut out 53 words.

Mission accomplished.

Not a very interesting posting for today, fair enough, but this was what I worked on for a good chunk of my day and I'm glad I finally conquered it.  In a future posting I'll share it but due to the fact I have a large readership on my homepage and am not quite sure who reads it, I rather Egerton hear my letter first than simply someone here.  I'm sure you understand.... and if not, well, that's your problem not mine.

No comments: