As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

The Honour is Mine... Thursday, August 3

Just recently I was contacted by a particular boxing coach in Toronto, Canada who nominated my first boxing coach, Olympian silver medallist Egerton Marcus, for the Sports Legend Award at the Toronto Sport Hall of Honour.  She then went on to explain what the award is about...
"The Sport Legend award recognizes an individual who, by their achievement and example are considered to have had the capacity to inspire Torontonians. An individual, who through extraordinary sporting accomplishments, has left an indelible mark on the fabric of sport in Toronto. This award is granted for a performance and/or career that is very special and destined to be of extraordinary significance to Toronto, Ontario or Canada and may be presented only once in a lifetime."
Both her and I started our boxing career under his direction and we've both heard a lot about each other but it wasn't until 2 years ago we actually met.  We both trained with Egerton and from there I went and opened a boxing club in Korea and she opened one in Canada.  Here's is a nonprofit charitable boxing club for kids, it's called MJKO (Mentoring Junior Kids Organization), and the opportunities and things she's doing for the kids there in the community is amazing.  Anyways, she reached out to me and asked if I'd write a letter of support to back her nomination for Egerton.

It's an honor but I wasn't sure I was the right person so I wrote to her expressing this.  I'm not so familiar with Egerton's success and lead up to the Olympics.  I know of him opening EMBA (Egerton Marcus Boxing Academy) and being coached by him but after a year or so I then moved to Korea so I wasn't there to see first hand what he did in Canada.  I recommended a friend of mine for the task, a friend who also went to the Olympics for boxing like Egerton.  She responded to my message and what she said totally touched my heart.
"...The reason I asked you as Egerton picked you... I know Egerton is really proud of all you are doing with your boxing. I think that's why he suggested you."
He had suggested me... me?!  Ahhh... I smiled.  I love Egerton.  He was my first boxing coach and at that point in my life he was such a big mentor to me though I don't think he really knew how much I held on to all that he taught me and did for me.  I remember going to a bar once with him.  I think it was a friend's birthday.  There was a guy there that wouldn't leave me alone and when he talked to me he stood real close.  Egerton took it upon himself to step in and politely addressed the young guy.  I laughed and when the guy snapped back at me in defence I told him "hey, he got a silver medal for knocking people out and he did that with a broken hand... I'd take his warning".  He was always like that, looking out for me.  Even when I returned from Korea many years later for just a visit he was the first person I visited and he gave me an earful of advice and life wisdom.  

I'm proud of Egerton, I'm so very proud of him, and to have him pick me to write this letter for him... wow... it's such an incredible honour I don't think I deserve but I'll definitely do my very best.

No comments: