As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Turning the Big 3-7... Sunday, August 6

Today it was my birthday but with yesterday being designated towards celebrating my birthday with my friends, today was a rather chill Sunday for me.  I treated myself to a day off training but I went to the local street market like usual, I went to church like usual, and I took a Sunday afternoon nap like usual.

What wasn't usual though was picking up my equipment for my Empowered boot camps and the workers at the store breaking out into Happy Birthday for me.  I milked the "it's-my-birthday" card to score a discount but the manager, wow, she was a tough cookie.  She then started singing Happy Birthday to me and her three male workers joined in.  It was so sweet; I blushed.

I was treated to a slow cooked brie cheese hamburger from the market for lunch and then later on I shared a piece of double chocolate cake.  For my birthday this year I received many gifts that I totally wasn't expecting so that was a very sweet and unexpected surprise. I most admit though I'm all about cards.  I love, love, LOVE cards... cards and letters.  I was surprised this morning with a beautiful letter waiting downstairs at the condo front desk counter;  it had been sent to me by two friends.  And Snickers gave me the biggest of cards I've ever received so that was pretty awesome.

No comments: