As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, September 25, 2017

Day One Done... Monday, September 25

Today started with a 5:30am wake up call... woozers.  Nothing like starting the brand new week with the front desk of my condo calling me at 5:30am. That was the time when Yummy Diet had just delivered my food for the day.  Every morning I'll be getting a 5:30am wake up call, a delivery... say what?!  I think so.

Today I started with Yummy Diet... side note here, I'm NOT on a diet.  

I repeat, I'm NOT on a diet.

I've always hated the word "diet".  It's so temporarily; it's a quick fix for what people should really be focusing on and that's making a healthy lifestyle.  

I have a very healthy lifestyle but it could be healthier in that I should be eating more.

When I was in university I used to eat ice cream like it was going out of style, I ate French fries and drank Coke like it was going out of style because I was a bartender and it was free when I worked.  I ate a lot of chocolate because it helped me stay awake and energized during long bartending hours and school lectures.  I was paying my own way through school and living in my own apartment so peanut butter sandwiches on white bread and with Skippy peanut butter was a daily thing as was macaroni and cheese and a daily 2L of 2% white milk.  

It wasn't until I graduated university and moved to Korea that I changed my eating habits.

I ditched the pop, scrapped the French fries, went to whole wheat bread and started making my own peanut butter.  My 2L of 2% milk went down to the occasional palm-sized container banana milk.  As for the ice cream, I definitely cut that down from a few times a week to once a week, and my consumption of chocolate is pretty much only the 3 pieces of milk chocolate I have maybe once or twice a week.

I no longer crave ice cream.  I crave fruit and bread.  I'm all about the carbs!!!

Once you start changing your lifestyle your tastebuds change.  Things I used to crave before I now have no real desire to eat.  I'm not so worried about how it affects my body with regards to how it looks but instead how it works, how it reacts to the demands of my training and long days of juggling working out and working on my business.  Going into a 3hr session of boxing with a tummy full of junk food is rough, you feel it and then you mentally became distracted by it.  It totally throws my training off.  

Today I had sparring so I carbed up a bit yesterday.  I knew I'd be needing the extra carbs because I know what it feels like to step into sparring with a lack of them.  I had a bit of a minor set back with sparring today because of what Yummy Diet sent me for breakfast.  They had made me an egg with cheese and mushroom omlette and on the side was a small wheat bun.  I was overly happy at the sight of the bread, it is my kyrptonite, but I should have known better that it wouldn't be enough carbs for me.  Usually my biggest meal of the day is breakfast and it's usually loaded with carbs.

Today's breakfast lacked carbs and I felt it.

Perhaps I felt it moreso because I also drank the coffee that Yummy Diet had sent me.  It was black coffee and I had made it fairly strong.  No sooner did I eat my meal and down my coffee but then I was having to go to the bathroom.  It pretty much flushed out everything I had eaten but with limited time before I was scheduled to spar, I could only quickly eat a banana.  

Yummy Diet sends me 1,500 calories a day worth of food but I also add my own things to build up my needed calorie count, like a loaded protein shake and fruit.  Day One completed and so far I'm very happy with them... minus the 5:30am wake up call that is but that was my condo's fault, not them.

No comments: