As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, October 20, 2017

A Backhanded Moment... Friday, October 20

It took me 10 months to get what I needed from Korea, my 2017 KBC boxing license.
It then took a 4 hour flight and me 2 hours of Ubering and waiting in line at the post office to receive it.

There was an awkward moment when they pulled my delivery from the back room, brought it out, and revealed that it was a box.

What's in the box?!  Good question.

I was expecting only my license, a simple and small piece of plastic the exact size of a credit card.  So what was in this box?!  Snickers had sent it to me and Skittles had gone with me to pick it up.  Was this Snickers' last ditch attempt to "woo me" back?  Awkward.  Even when we were together, he never so much as bought me a birthday present or gave me a Valentine's Day card.  

What was even more awkward about this box was the fact that it's the post office's rule to have any delivered box opened and inspected before it's handed over to the receiver.  So there I was, having to stand there beside Skittles as this mystery box from Snickers was cut open and all it's contents were revealed. 

Inside the box there was a yellow boxing head gear piece, a pair of yellow boxing mitts (for padwork), a pair of white boxing gloves, two blue Everlast wrist guards, and a pair of black Hulk's Boxing handwraps.  My 2017 KBC license was also there, tapped to the inside of the box side.

The only thing that made sense was the license and the handwraps.

Let me explain.

The head gear and mitts were yellow, my club colours for the gear are black and white.  These were obviously samples given to my club and I know this also because they didn't have our Hulk label on them.  The white gloves were right in colour, white, but they were 8 onze gloves; I would never train with such small gloves.  I spar with 14oz and I use 10oz on the heavy bags.  Moreover, I could tell by the wear of the leather and a part that was cut on it.  The Everlast wrist guards were an insult.  They were new but Snickers knows we both consider Everlast to be the biggest joke in boxing equipment.  It's so hit and miss with quality and we both vouch you'll never see a pro boxer using Everlast gear because it's only image, not quality.  

I'm on the fence with how to respond to Snickers about what he sent me.  I fell like it was such a slap in the face, in a backhanded compliment kind of way.  When I found out it was a package he had sent me, I honestly thought perhaps he had sent me some of my sentimental belongings that I had left in Korea but it obviously wasn't.  

My only question now is whose gloves did he take and send me?!

No comments: