As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Always at the Club... Thursday, October 26

Next week is a holidays in the Philippines.  I'm not even too sure on what holiday it is but I know that many businesses are going to be closed, Makati is going to turn into a ghost town, and even Yummy Diet isn't going to be sending me my food because they'll be closed for the holiday.  

BUT... the boxing club will be open.  

I've come to the conclusion that the boxing clubs here in the Philippines are pretty much the only business, along with the construction companies, that don't skip a beat.  Working long hours in the Philippines is a common thing for many company workers but come super rainy weather, many aren't able to come into work because of the bad road conditions.  I know many of the businesses, like restaurants down the street and an office tower, were totally closed a day here or there because of the big downpour.  But the boxing clubs and construction companies, for the most part, their workers  sleep there on site so bad weather conditions aren't an issue.  

Today I was at the boxing club twice.  I was there in the morning for boxing and then there again, in the evening, for weight training. I trained legs.  I thought it be a "good idea" to end my leg training off with some stairs so I took the stairs down from the fifth floor boxing club, down to the first floor.  Then I went back up.  Then I went back down.  Ouch, ouch, ouch... and more ouches.  I didn't have to wait till the morning to feel the effects of that training, I felt it no sooner had I finished it, actually, while I was doing it!

I spent a total of roughly 4 hours at the boxing club today.

No comments: