As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Feeling Spoiled... Sunday, October 29

This past weekend I was definitely spoiled. 

On Friday I attended the opening party for a new gorgeous rooftop bar on top of I'M Hotel and then was treated out to a late meal at one of my favourite restaurants, Crying Tiger. 

On Saturday I was treated to lunch out and then bribed to attend the new Thor movie at the mall -- the bribe was a new blazer. I didn't want to freeze, movie theatres here in the Philippines are always ridiculously cold, so I said I'd go home and get a sweater. Me going home to get a sweater pretty much would guarentee I wouldn't leave the house and return for the movie. 

Then today, I was treated to homemade French toast. After church, I was then taken shopping. For the price of a tank top I saw on sale at Greenbelt yesterday, I bought 5 shirts and a pair of jeans at Cash & Carry. At Cash & Carry I was also treated to much-needed protein shake and BCAAs. In the evening I was then treated to a 1 hour massage after my boxing. 

Ya... Definitely spoiled. 

But the cream of the crop, the cherry on top, the absolute ultimate treat was having Skittles go to Elite Boxing with me so that he could cut some of the trainers hair. The guys at the boxing club are pretty awesome but they work crazy hours and rarely get out. Their life revolves around the boxing club and I wanted to do something nice for them in return of all their hard work and how they continually help me and keep me motivated at training. I had asked Skittles if he could cut the hair of two guys in particular -- Coach Jun Mar and Trainer Alvin. I wanted to do some real life boxer makeovers. He ended up cutting a third boxer's hair, that of Trainer George. We arrived shortly before 4pm, as planned, and then set up. The makeovers were absolutely amazing, everyone at the club was as interested as they were impressed. The best was Trainer Alvin's makeover. When he was done, a whole crew of us screamed and yelled at the sight of him but he's super shy and it only made him all that more shy. It felt so good to do something nice for these guys and the fact that Skittles gave up 3 hours of his day to helping me and them out was so awesome. 

The guys loved their hair cuts, their new looks, and it felt so nice to do something special for them. After finishing up their makeovers and snapping a ton of pictures, I then went home. A little while later I returned for boxing. 

Today's makeovers and the great responses we got from them definitely sparked some potential ideas I might make happen. It would have been perfect to have had the guys go to Skittles' up and coming hair salon in BCG but the trek there and back plus the time getting their hair done would have been too much for them. They have so little free time during the day and their day really revolves around whether or not they have a client. Clients come at their own free doing so it makes it next to impossible to organize anything out of the club and work for them. But Christmas... Hopefully that's a whole other story. I'd love to arrange for them to be treated to a visit to Skittles' hair salon, The Refined, and I know Elite's owner so I'm thinking about trying to pull some strings and make this happen for them.

Another idea I pondered up was the notion of them coming over to my condo to use the pool. The boxing club closes at 10pm every night, on weekdays and weekends, but sometimes they close early if there's no members training, like tonight. I arrived at 7:30pm for a quick workout and I was the only one there training after 8pm. I left at 9pm because I realized they were going to close when I left. I had a bit more I wanted to do but I didn't mind cutting my training a bit short on account of the fact that I know just how long their work days already. Hopefully this week I can talk to whomever at my condo to arrange for me to be allowed to have a group of guests over. With this week having a long holiday right smack dab in the middle of the week, it's expected that they're going to be slow at the boxing club. Hopefully this also means they can close up a bit early and come over for a refreshing dip in the pool. I think they'd really appreciate that and it'd be a lot of fun too.

No comments: